Rubberband Matchmaking System

• Can we all just take a second to recognize how bad the matchmaking system is.

I get that there are a lot of complex maths involved, but the algorithms used for matchmaking (and sometimes even card draws) are really REALLY stupid in that they purposely keep you from ever playing a truly randomized game and subsequently forcing you into a position where you literally have to play the current meta at x amount of games per day to climb in ranked mode.

I don't buy card packs. I play one class (thats usually not top tier). I play only the cards I find interesting because to me THATS where the fun comes from.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect to get legend by playing outside the meta or even my one or two games a day. I don't even want to climb the ladder. I just want to be able to enjoy the game without playing against the same warlock deck ten times in a row because I won too many games and now I HAVE to play against the esport wanna-be types.

My suggestion: Blizz, guys, I love you but please could you make the competitive ladder separate from the e-sport ladder. Or at the very least, fix the matchmaking algorithm so that I don't play against the same jade druid, murloc pally, mill rogue cheese decks ten times in a row.

>> The algorithms are real
    >> It's not a conspiracy theory
    >> They want you to buy more packs
    >> They want you to buy into the meta
    >> They won't blue post about it because its true
  • 01/04/2018 07:58 PMPosted by ├čruce
    >> They won't blue post about it because its true

Not sure why folks put comments like this. However, I guess it technically worked, so....I don't know.

Regardless - match making is based on matchmaking rating (MMR). Not the cards someone has in their deck and collection. This has been addressed and stated multiple times.

The first link Soma posted is from the Dev team directly on how it works.

The rest of the bullet points are topics that have been debated ad nauseam. If you wish to read up on those and the responses/explanations, please feel free to search them out. The other two links from Soma are to a large thread that went on for a solid amount of time and brings up a good deal of these points.

With that being said, I am locking this thread. This topic seems to spiral quite quickly and I would rather avoid any confrontations between the two sides that form.

Thanks as always to those who contributed.

Cheers!